Monday, March 23, 2009

A sideshow of life

So, about a year ago, Basketball Australia asked for volunteers to lend their olympic/paralympic medals to the national sports museum, at the MCG, for a couple of years. I figured that I moved house so often that a museum was probably the safest place for my medal, so there it went.
And here it is...
I'm on the right, in the middle. Pretty, hey.
It was a little scary surrendering it last year. The "courier" was just a guy in an old commodore, and I handed over my medal, wrapped carefully in paper. I waved it goodbye. However, the care I exhibited that day was in stark contrast to the day I got the medal (well, technically the night, after the ceremony).The ribbon of my medal always smelt of beer!
Well, last week, I was in the big smoke for a meeting, so thought I'd go to the museum on my way home.
I was a little excited. I hadn't seen it for ages, and I planned to take heaps of photos.
However, when I found the cabinet, there was a big sign saying "No Photographs". Really, they should have put a sign on there just for me saying, "No waving to the medals like they're in the neonatal intensive care unit". (Doing nothing for the cause).
I spotted a security guard/tour guide nearby, so I tilted my head on the side, screwed up my nose, decreased the bass in my voice, and cajoled him into taking photos with me. He was thrilled that it was my medal, and we talked about the paralympics for ages. We even tried to spot me on the video they have playing in the background. I think I spotted me. I'm not sure, but it was definitely a small woman in a wheelchair. There can't be that many of them at the paralympics!
Then, I thought I should pay my respects to the other sportspeople, and look at the rest of the museum.
I looked around for a bit, then wheeled past "my cabinet" to get to the exit.
My security guard/tour guide/photographer was there with a tour group. As I wheeled by, he stopped the group and pointed at me. Yes, people......I AM A SIDESHOW
Cheers,
L

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I would like to go and have a look at your medal one day. Let me know if you return to the museum. Promise I'll leave my camera at home. Just a quick question, did they let you stroke the medal like it was in an intensive care unit? Sounds like the security guard would've done anything for you!

Anita Hamilton said...

LOL Maybe they could add those little port holes on the side for caressing the medal, but you must have white gloves on!

BTW: You are an Olympic athlete, not a sideshow :-)