Monday, April 21, 2008

knowing when to fold 'em

Firstly, thankyou to all you helpful people who, after reading the last blog about my lagoon have:
a. suggested I wear a life jacket at all times, just in case I fall in the spa
b. offered to supply me with a "hoist fairy" to get out of the said lagoon
c. come round to my house, walked into the bathroom...and laughed your heads off!!

Now for today's story:
So, my new doctoral topic is about the use of intuition by occupational therapists. In itself, it's pretty interesting. However, right now, right at the beginning of my exploration, it's fascinating because I get to look at the use of intuition in other fields.

I've looked at the research about expert:
- chess players (who can think 15-20 moves ahead, and intuitively know which is the right move)
- midwives (who know when things are not quite right, even if the machines say they are)
- airline pilots (who can get a sense of how the whole plane is working, rather than isolated instrumentations)
- and poker player (who, apparently, know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run).



But the most interesting of all....the use of intuition in marketing (ie, using our intuitive urges to make us buy something). Sneaky.



Then, today, I was at the shops, and I came across this little bit of marketing....




In case you can't see it properly...it's an aisle of priceline entitiled "weight loss". The pink boxes on your left are "celebrity slim" (what, pray tell, do you think they contain?!?!@!@), and on the other side.....chocolates and confectionary.
Do you think priceline is keeping itself in business there? You know how it goes, you've eaten nothing but celebrities for days, and you just need a starburst. (hahahahahaha)

I'm going to bed know. Clearly I'm silly tired.
Cheers,
L

No comments: