Sunday, September 16, 2007

The past - is that an appropriate place for it?

22 Mar 2007

So, I left home at 6.30 am to get to work today. Although it sounds hideous, there is always a positive for each negative.
Positive: I got to take a moments peace to sit still, and watch a beautiful sunrise over the very-foggy Port Philip Bay. In the words of my yoga teacher, I was able to "just be".
Negative: I was sitting in my car in gridlock traffic at the top of the Westgate, late for work, at the time!

To pass the time, I put on the radio. After singing "She works hard for the money" at the top of my lungs...with the windows down (NB. One day, quite subconsciously, I sang that in the supermarket whilst getting my groceries. It was only when someone else joined in that I realised I was singing), the annoying talking people came on and mentioned that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are back!! Only, now, they are funkier. They're called TMNT (and yes, I sang it as I typed just then), and they are computer generated.

I have some issues with that....

Firstly, there must be hundreds of cartoonists in Korea who are now not earning their $7 a week. And I can't imagine that skill is transferable to many other occupations. eg.
Korean Social Security Man: "Can you do anything else besides draw masked turtles in ninja-style battles with giant rats?"
Artist-formerly-known-as-cartoonist: "Nuh"

I suspect that Pedestrian Crossing signs are about to get a whole lot more interesting in Korea.

My second issue with TMNT (sang again) is that they belong in the past. As a culture, we've been there, and done that.

Now, I can live with the reinvention of the ra-ra skirt (although, they are so short, that they should be known as the ra skirt), and the resurgence of Reisling as a fashionable wine isn't bothering me too much. BUT, I draw the line at crime-fighting turtles.

I firmly believe that there are things that belong in the past. For example:
- Take Blueberry flavoured Big M (flavoured milk). Now, what the heck were they thinking?
- Yo-yo's - yes, fun for the rest of you, but when you're a tiny little 8 year old, sitting in a wheelchair that isn't too far from the ground, mine was always just a yo. Banish them to the past I say!!
- Hypercolour Tshirts - I know, technically these are still in the past. I just wanted to make you go "Yeah, I remember them!"

So, let's be interactive here. Go on, take a risk. (apparently you use the little letters on the keyboard below the screen). Tell us, what do you think should be banished to the past?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
L


5:35 PM - 2 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

No comments: